Important for travellers in Austria!
As of January 01st, 2015, the new traffic rules in Green Zones in Austria apply to all vehicles with Austrian and foreign registration plates, including Bulgarian!
Access to Green Zones in Austria is permitted for vehicles with affixed special eco-sticker indicating their classification in a particular ecological category.
Restrictions on the traffic of freight vehicles of ecological category ‘Euro 1’ and lower already exist throughout Vienna and the municipalities of Eastern Lower Austria (Niederöstrerreich).
In Burgenland and in much of the Lower Austria region, the traffic of freight vehicles registered before 1991 is restricted. Since January 1st, 2016 in Vienna and Lower Austria the traffic restriction already applies to freight vehicles of ecological category ‘Euro 2’.
In many areas of Styria (Steiermark) there is already a traffic restriction for vehicles with a maximum permissible total mass equal to or more than 7.5 t of ecological category ‘Euro 2’.
The following road vehicles are affected by this traffic restriction:
- Vienna (Wien) – All trucks, regardless of the mass of the vehicle – including light commercial vehicles, vans and lorries if they are registered as freight vehicles (categories N1, N2 and N3). Ecological category EURO 2 and below: as of January 1st, 2016;
- Lower Austria (Niederösterreich) – All trucks, regardless of the mass of the vehicle – including light commercial vehicles, vans and lorries if they are registered as freight vehicles (categories N1, N2 and N3). Ecological category EURO 2 and below: as of January 1st, 2016;
- Upper Austria (Oberösterreich) – All motor vehicles of categories N2 and N3 (lorries with a maximum permissible gross mass exceeding 3.5 t). Ecological category EURO 2 and below: as of July 01st, 2016;
- Styria (Steiermark) – Freight vehicles above 7.5 t, i.e. vehicles of categories N2 and N3 with a maximum permissible gross mass exceeding 7.5 t. Ecological category EURO 2 and below.
How to buy your Eco-Sticker for access to Green Zones in Austria?
TECHNOTEST JSC is authorized by TÜV-Austria to mediate the categorization of vehicles and the issue of Eco-Stickers on the territory of Bulgaria for vehicles of categories N (freight vehicles) with a total mass over 3.5 tons. Eco-stickers for Austria are issued after a review of documents and sending of an application to the relevant authorities in Austria. The procedure takes up to two business weeks.
The following documents are required:
- Compulsory – Registration certificate – Part I (large registration card) of the vehicle;
- Compulsory – Document certifying the type approval of the vehicle – Reference / Letter / Declaration / Certificate issued by the manufacturer or their authorized representative or CoC (certificate of conformity) – in English or German language;
- Recommended – Document certifying the classification of the vehicle in a particular environmental (EURO) category such as: CEMT – ECMT Certificate issued by the manufacturer or their authorized representative – Green Certificate (reports of periodic inspections are not accepted), COP or other certificate by the manufacturer or their authorized representative – in English or German language.
The regulations were adopted by an ordinance of the Austrian Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, Environment and Water Management. There are 6 different classes of Eco-Stickers, according to the environmental category of the vehicle and other assessment factors. The validity period of the stickers is indefinite. The sticker should be renewed when changing the windscreen and/or re-registering the vehicle. Once issued and adhered, the Eco-Sticker is valid for crossing all Eco Zones in Austria where the eco-class in question is allowed.
The driver of a vehicle passing through an Eco Zone in Austria without an Eco-Sticker on the windscreen or with a false sticker will be subject to an administrative penalty of up to € 2180 and eventual withdrawal of a license for a repeated offense and/or forced repatriation of the vehicle. Each Eco-Sticker is protected and is associated with the vehicle registration plate for which it is issued and may be used for intended purpose only. The fine for a person who used fake data to obtain an Eco-Sticker or uses an incorrect mark or false sticker is € 7270.
You can place a request and provide copies of the necessary documents on paper or other media at the office of TECHNOTEST JSC, every working day from 9:00 to 17:00, or via e-mail at email@example.com.